Xbox Boss Phil Spencer has finally revealed the official specifications of the Xbox Series X, AMD’s Zen 2 Processor it’s confirmed, an RDNA2 GPU will deliver 12 teraflops of GPU performance. It’s now confirmed that Xbox Series X will be 2 times more powerful than an Xbox One X, and eight times more powerful than an original Xbox One.
“At Xbox we value being open and transparent with you, and I’m proud to be able to share details about some of the technologies we are enabling for the next generation, and look forward to boldly sharing more as we head towards E3.” Reads a blog post from Phil Spencer. “Xbox Series X delivers a true generational leap in processing and graphics power with cutting edge techniques resulting in higher framerates, larger, more sophisticated game worlds, and an immersive experience unlike anything seen in console gaming,” Spencer continues.
The new technologies that will take the small box to the next generation of gaming are, “Variable Rate Shading” (VRS) and DirectX Ray Tracing and Dynamic Latency Input (DLI).
“Compared to the previous generation, Xbox Series X represents a superior balance of power and speed in console design, advancing on all technological fronts to delivering amazing, dynamic, living worlds and minimize any aspects that can take you out of the experience”
- Next Generation Custom Processor: Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One.
- Variable Rate Shading (VRS): Our patented form of VRS empowers developers to more efficiently utilize the full power of the Xbox Series X. Rather than spending GPU cycles uniformly to every single pixel on the screen, they can prioritize individual effects on specific game characters or important environmental objects. This technique results in more stable frame rates and higher resolution, with no impact on the final image quality.
- Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We’re optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.
- HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We’ve partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR).
- 120 fps Support: With support for up to 120 fps, Xbox Series X allows developers to exceed standard 60 fps output in favor of heightened realism or fast-paced action.
- Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing – a first for console gaming.
Of course, Series X it’s not only about raw performance, Spencer and its team has appointed what are the players needs, what are those features that would give us games a more enjoyable and easy experience. A powerful solid state drive although being an expensive choice delivers faster loading times, and will also allow a new feature on the next gen box.
“Quick Resume”, is a feature that will allow players to continue multiples games from a “suspended state almost instantly.” Backwards Compatibility is also confirmed,and Xbox’s “Smart Delivery” for Xbox Game Studios titles, this would allow players to buy a game and choose which platform will be used to play the game.
- Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.
- Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on.
The reveal of the Xbox Series X confirms the leaked information that was spotted on late 2019, on that Gifthub leak, PS5 information was also leaked, considering how accurate it was, it’s likely that specifications’ suggested for the PS5 might be accurate. More information will be revealed at E3 2020, at the event Spencer might talk more about the SSDs capabilities and reveal what’s next for the Xbox Series X controller.