After several rumors, publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment and developer Naughty Dog have officially announced The Last of Us Part II Remastered for PlayStation 5. The remaster will launch on January 19, 2024. Players who already own The Last of Us Part II on PlayStation 4 can also upgrade to The Last of Us Part II Remastered for $10. The remaster features new content including Director’s commentary for the campaigns and cutscenes from the director and several voice actors, new enhanced graphics and 4k support, new accessibility options, three new levels not seen in the original game, a brand new unlockable character, and more. Additionally, the remaster will come in several editions. The standard and W.L.F editions. The W.L.F edition includes a SteelBook case, a Washington Liberation front patch, four enamel pins, and 47 Society of Champions trading cards, including eight holographic cards. The W.L.F edition is only available to purchase via the PlayStation Direct website in specific locations (United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Benelux, Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Austria). Pre-orders for all editions will launch on December 5. An announcement trailer for the remaster was also released.
Details for the remaster via Sony:
Experience the winner of over 300 Game of the Year awards now with an array of technical enhancements that make The Last of Us Part II Remastered the definitive way to play Ellie and Abby’s critically acclaimed story.
Native PlayStation 5 Enhancements
- Built for the PlayStation 5 console, The Last of Us Part II Remastered enhances the original PlayStation 4 game in ways not possible before, including:
- A host of graphical improvements bring the beautiful-yet-dangerous world to life.
- Visual performance now outputs at 4K in Fidelity Mode.
- Improved loading times more quickly let you jump into action.
- Full DualSense wireless controller integration.
No Return: A Roguelike Survival Mode
Experience The Last of Us Part II‘s deep combat via an entirely new mode! Survive as long as you can in each run, as you choose your path through a series of randomized encounters. Play as a host of different unlockable characters, some never-before playable in The Last of Us franchise, each with unique gameplay traits. The variety of challenges feature different foes and memorable locations from throughout Part II, all culminating in tense boss battles.
New Ways to Play
- Delve deeper into this beloved adventure and learn how the original game was created.
- Lost Levels lets you explore early-development versions of three new levels not seen in the original.
- Enjoy hours of new developer commentary to hear insights into Part II‘s development as you experience the game.
- Live up to your musical potential with Guitar Free Play, which includes new unlockable instruments, or take on the new Speedrun Mode and post your best times.
- Descriptive Audio and Speech to Vibrations have also been added to Part II‘s suite of accessibility features.
- The Last of Us Part II Remastered also features brand new unlockable character and weapon skins for players to use for both Ellie and Abby.