Sony will launch tomorrow the first big update for the PS5 enabling external USB drives, adding new social features and new personalization options.
Tomorrow users will be able to plug in an external USB drive with the ability to transferring PS5 games from the console’s internal storage.
“It’s a great way to extend the storage capabilities of your PS5 console, says Sony in a blog post “you can seamlessly copy your PS5 games back to the console’s internal storage when you’re ready to play. It is faster to reinstall PS5 games from USB extended storage than to re-download or copy them from a disc.”
It’s important to mention that USB devices will not work for playing PS5 games as the games are designed to work on the consoles’ high-speed SSD. PS5 titles cannot be directly downloaded to USB extended storage.
Learn more about the USB extended storage here.
The new update will also introduce new Social Features for the PS4 and PS5 consoles with the ability to cross-gen share play.
Share Play functionality has been extended as PS5 console users can invite their friends on PS4 consoles to view their game screen, or try out the PS5 games through Share Play, and vice versa.
Options include the ability to share your screen with a friend, pass your controller virtually to a friend, or pass a second controller virtually to play co-op games together.
The new PS5 update will also feature enhanced control and personalization options, here is an overview via Sony:
- Improved Game Base. The Game Base menu has been improved for quicker access to important content and features. You can now easily switch between Parties and Friends to start chatting with your existing parties or see what each of your online friends is up to. In addition, you can turn notifications on or off for each of the parties you’re in.
- Disable Game Chat or Adjust Players’ Volume. You can now quickly disable in-game chat, which turns off your mic audio and the voice audio of other players. Additionally, you can easily adjust the individual voice chat volume of other players in the same chat so you don’t have to ask your friends to lower or increase their mic volume each time.
- Game Update Pre-download. Once it’s enabled by developers, title updates for games will pre-download to your console if the “automatic updates” setting is enabled and your console is on or in rest mode. This will let you start playing the latest version of a game immediately after the update’s release.
- Customize Game Library. With the ability to search your library or hide games from view, it’s now easier to find content and personalize your view of your game library.
- Screen Zoom. You can now adjust the magnification of the screen to suit your preference from the Settings menu.
- New Trophy Settings and Stats Screen. The level of trophies that results in automatic capture of a screenshot or video clip can now be customized — so you can now choose to only capture and save images/videos of moments when you earn higher-grade trophies, like Gold or Platinum. We’re also introducing a new player Trophy Stats screen, where you can check out the summary of your trophy level and status at a glance.