Nintendo is finally adding online multiplayer to Super Mario Party. The game will now support the Nintendo Switch’s Invite Friend feature. Friends can join from the Online Play Invites on their user-page icon in the top left of the HOME Menu.
Super Mario Party features all 20 characters and all maps are available, regardless of the player’s current in-game progress, when playing over the internet, 70 of the total 80 minigames are available to play. The following 10 minigames are not available when playing over the internet:
- Strike It Rich
- Time to Shine
- Take a Stab
- All-Star Swingers
- Rhythm and Bruise
- Pep Rally
- Wiped Out
- Fiddler on the Hoof
- Clearing the Table
- Baton and On
How to play Super Mario Party online
- To play over the internet, select either Mario Party, Partner Party, or Minigames, then select Online Play.
- There are two ways to play over the internet: Friend Match, where you can play with Friends, and Private Game, where you can play with anyone using passwords.
- The combinations through which you can play over the internet are as follows:
- Up to 1 player per system (you can play with between 2 and 4 players)
- Up to 2 players per system (you can play with between 3 and 4 players)
If two players are each playing on their own systems, they cannot play with two players using a third system.
- This update must be applied in order to use the game’s Internet features.
- Save data will still be available for use after downloading the update.
- If the system is connected to the Internet, the update will download and install automatically.
- All players must be using the same version of the software to play together. Please make sure you have the same update version as the person you are playing with.
Super Mario Party is the reimagination and relaunch for the Nintendo Switch. The game was revealed at E3 2018 as a party game that “goes back to the four-player basics as [players] take turns and race across the board searching for Stars”. The game is designed to feel like the classic Mario Party from the N64 era while incorporating some of the elements of more modern Mario Party games.
Super Mario Party is now the first installment in the franchise to add online play.