The Japanese release date for the Switch version of this year’s Samurai Shodown reboot title has been revealed and will be releasing this December. The game originally released on the PS4 and Xbox One back in June with both a Switch and PC version slated to hit by the end of 2019.
The Switch version of the game will support single Joy-Con controller use to allow two players to compete, along with confirmed 60 FPS on the hybrid console when docked. while we haven’t learned of a PC version release date yet, we do know it’s in the works to release alongside the Switch version.
Check out all of the main features for the latest Samurai Shodown title from SNK below:
- Exhilarating Weapons-Based Combat – Samurai Shodown carries on the legacy of the tense battles the series is known for, where players are always one strike away from death, and one powerful attack away from victory.
- Evolving the Presentation – Using the power of Unreal Engine 4, SNK is able to modernize the unique atmosphere and setting of past titles in a gorgeously artistic package that achieves a detail and graphical quality like never before.
- Unique Cast of Returning and New Warriors – Samurai Shodown welcomes back iconic characters from past iterations, including the swordsman Haohmaru, his rivals Ukyo and Genjuro, the shrine maiden Nakoruru, and fan-favorite Galford. The starting roster will include a total of 16 characters—13 veterans and three newcomers to the franchise.
- All New Gameplay – Carrying on some of the key fighting mechanics that made the series popular, such as the Rage Gauge, Rage Explosion, Sword Clash and more, Samurai Shodown will also include several new techniques, including a powerful, one-time use attack from each character called the Super Special Move.
- Revolutionary New AI System – Titled Dojo Mode, SNK has developed a proprietary AI system that learns from player patterns and creates a specific Ghost clone from that data. With this system, players can fight against their own Ghost or take on the Ghosts of top players in mock battles.
As for now, Samurai Shodown is expected to release on the Switch in Japan on December 12, 2019. The western version has yet to reveal a release date, though the PS4 and Xbox One versions released in the west two days prior to the Japanese versions this passed June. We should also anticipate the PC release date for the fighting title relatively soon.