The Rise of Captain Longbeard Announced for HTC Vive
Backed by mobile gaming titan Colopl and continuing its strong push into Virtual Reality, it was announced today by Colopl NI, The Rise of Captain Longbeard for HTC Vive. Slated for release on Steam Early Access this holiday season, The Rise of Captain Longbeard is a riveting single-player action-adventure pirate game filled with immersive 360 degree environments, thrilling combat and a wide variety of challenging puzzles.
Check out the Alpha gameplay trailer of The Rise of Captain Longbeard, featuring some gameplay footage:
“In The Rise of Captain Longbeard, players step into the boots of Robert Youngfellow as he embarks on a journey that will see him transform from a landlubber into the scourge of the seven seas. But a pirate’s life is not for the faint of heart and Captain Longbeard will soon find himself beset on all sides by hordes of unfriendly pirates, menacing sea creatures and thorny obstacles – all of which are set on denying him their treasure and his destiny.
“The Rise of Captain Longbeard promises to be the quintessential VR game experience,” said Jikhan Jung, CEO of Colopl NI. “Complete immersion into a specific time and place in history, with the entire experience driven by a compelling narrative and an emotional connection to the main character. All of this surrounds a variety of exciting in-game action and adventure that transports you back in time when pirates were lords of the seas.”
Key features of The Rise of Captain Longbeard include:
- Exploration across four main islands and over eight satellite islands, each filled with their own particular blend of challenge and mayhem;
- Sail your ship to tropical ports of call, before embarking on foot to explore the islands;
- Combat galore and you’ll need to be skilled in the art of battle with pistols, swords and exploding barrels;
- Plunder treasure wherever you find it and use it to upgrade your weapons, purchase booze and more;
- A successful pirate is a one who can outwit his opponents and your path to infamy is besieged by obstacles, including marksmen challenges, hidden key puzzles and when all else fails – blowing up parts of the world.
The Rise of Captain Longbeard is due out on Steam Early Access this holiday season. Earlier this summer, Colopl NI released Cyberpong for Vive, a modern interpretation of the gaming classic currently enjoying rave user reviews and will soon launch on Oculus Rift. More recently, the company introduced Slot Tub Party for Gear VR & Oculus Rift, an outlandish game of slots that occurs amongst virtual friends in the social confines of your very own hot tub. Both titles clearly display the current fun and future potential of VR gaming.”
For more information on The Rise of Captain Longbeard, visit its Dev Blog.