Netflix Still Wants to Produce a Stranger Things Game Despite the Telltale Games Collapse
Netflix, in a interview with news website Polygon, announced that the Minecraft: Story Mode project (in which they would release an interactive series on their streaming platform) will still be in development, even after the Telltale Games collapse last Friday. Netflix will be completing the project with Telltale Games skeleton crew.
Also Netflix stated that they are looking other options for the development of the game adaptation of their popular franchise, Stranger Things.
Netflix said in the interview with Polygon:
“We are saddened by news about Telltale Games,” Netflix said in a statement. “They developed many great games in the past and left an indelible mark in the industry. Minecraft: Story Mode is still moving forward as planned. We are in the process of evaluating other options for bringing the Stranger Things universe to life in an interactive medium.”
Netflix and Telltale Games announced the collaboration in June. In which Minecraft: Story Mode was planned as a five-episode interactive narrative series, like the other interactive series in Netflix called “Stretch Armstrong: The Breakout” and “Puss in Book: Trapped in an Epic Tale”. The project was expected to be released this fall.
The Stranger Things game was not intended for release on the Netflix platform, but more of a licensed game developed by Telltale Games.
Telltale Games said in an official statement about the studio closure:
“Today Telltale Games made the difficult decision to begin a majority studio closure following a year marked by insurmountable challenges.” “A majority of the company’s employees were dismissed earlier this morning, with a small group of 25 employees staying on to fulfill the company’s obligations to its board and partners.”
When Telltale Games made the statement, those obligations remained unclear, but according to both Game Informer and USGamer, citing unnamed sources, The Walking Dead: The Final Season, which launched its first episode on August 14th, would be canceled in a incomplete state. On other parts of the internet it is suggested that The Wolf Among Us 2 will be also cancelled.