The Forest Exiting Early Access Today, VR version Will be Released on May 22nd
Endnight Games announced that The Forest moves from early access into a full release on Steam. This version of the game adds a bunch of new stuff, from a craftable warmsuit, significant re-work of the endgame and a new alternate ending. Along with this, there is a ton of cave re-work and polish and many many improvements and fixes.
Check out the launch trailer of The Forest, featuring some gameplay footage:
Endnight Games said in a post on their official blog:
“It’s been a crazy ride, made possible only by the players who have supported us for the last four years. To the team here it feels like a game we all made together, us and the community. Your input suggestions and feedback has been invaluable to us.
There is a lot we still want to do, and plan on heavily supporting the game moving forward. Some other big items we hope to implement soon are proper cheat controls in multiplayer and fixes to the issues that will likely come up in this release.
Today we are also announcing our first major update to the game. The VR version of The Forest will release for free to all players of the game, on May 22. It’s the full game, with your hud on a smart watch, a full 3d inventory, and tree cutting using motion controls. We think it’s the most fun vr game we’ve ever played and can’t wait to share it with everyone.
We know there are a couple reports of crashing and keyboard related issues that came up in the last 2 days and will aim to get fixes for those as soon as we can.
If you are running a dedicated server, you will need to restart your server with the latest version to be compatible with this patch release.”
“About The Forest
As the lone survivor of a passenger jet crash, you find yourself in a mysterious forest battling to stay alive against a society of cannibalistic mutants.
Build, explore, survive in this terrifying first person survival horror simulator.
Enter a living, breathing world, where every tree and plant can be chopped down. Below ground explore a vast network of caves and underground lakes.
- Chop down trees to build a camp, or start a fire to keep warm. Scavenge food to keep yourself from starving.
- Build a small shelter or a large ocean side fortress. Lay traps and defences to keep a safe perimeter.
- Explore and build during the day. Defend your base at night. Craft weapons and tools. Bunker down during the evening or bring the fight directly to the enemy.
- Defend yourself against a clan of genetic mutant enemies that have beliefs, families, morals and that appear almost human.
- Use stealth to evade enemies, or engage them directly with crude weapons built from sticks and stones.”