Nintendo unveiled their latest Direct showcase this week with an extensive look at the upcoming sequel, Super Mario Maker 2. Fans of the series will be able to take and create their own Mario titles on the go for the first time once the game releases this summer, but there are still plenty of details fans are wanting to know about the game.
If you missed it, you can view the entire Direct showcase with all of the details below:
Luckily, Nintendo highlighted some of the major new changes and features heading over with the sequel, many of which are game-changers in the world of customizing your very own Mario levels.
Below are some of the major details revealed on the Super Mario Maker 2’s official website:
Make the Super Mario Courses of Your Dreams
Want coin-shooting cannons? Cat Mario sliding down slopes to take out an army of baddies? By combining a variety of parts, you can do some incredible stuff that isn’t even possible in regular Super Mario games!
Create in the Style of Super Mario 3D World
This game style is quite a bit different from the others—there are things you can do here that you can’t do in any other style!
- Cat Mario – You can’t mention Super Mario 3D World without showing some love for Cat Mario. Climbing walls…scratching…sliding, pouncing—there’s nothing quite like it.
- Clear Pipe – These Clear Pipes can be placed in any shape you like. Be careful, though! Enemies will make use of them as well.
- Piranha Creeper – The Piranha Creeper will extend wherever you draw. Watch out for its spiky stem!
- Banzai Bill – Banzai Bill can fly all over—even toward the screen. It’s so powerful it can break through walls!
- Koopa Troopa Car – Take this sweet ride for a spin and tear up the course. Just try not to crash it. Drive safely, now!
Select a Style
You can choose from some of your favorite Super Mario styles!
- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Super Mario World
- New Super Mario Bros. U
Give It a Theme
Whether you like to run through Castles or sneak through spooky Ghosts Houses, there are plenty of classic themes to choose from, along with some new ones: Desert, Snow, Forest, and Sky.
Break the Rules
You can customize almost everything in your courses—you can even change the goal! Instead of just reaching the Goal Pole to finish, you can set an additional objective that players have to complete, like collecting 50 Coins or defeating all the Dry Bones. (Video)
Pass a Joy-Con controller to your pal and work side-by-side to create a course on a single screen. (Video)
Whether you’re trying out courses you’ve made or hopping into the all-new Story Mode, you can play a nearly limitless number of side-scrolling Super Mario courses anytime, anywhere.
- Story Mode – Play through over 100 original courses and gather Coins to help rebuild Princess Peach’s castle.
- Play Your Own Levels – Create the wildest course you can imagine, then test it out yourself right from the Make menu. (Video)
- Coursebot – Our robotic friend, Coursebot, is back to keep all your created courses in a safe place for easy access. You can also save your favorite courses from Course World here to play on the go!
With a Nintendo Switch Online membership, you can download and share courses, play online, and more!
- Lots (and lots!) of Courses – In Course World, you can find a nearly limitless number of courses created by other players that you can play right away or save locally to play offline later.
- Endless Fun – While in Course World, be sure to try out the Endless Challenge, where you run a gauntlet of created courses.
- Share Your Creations – Upload your favorite courses for other players to try out. You can even add tags and descriptions to your courses so people can find them easily and appreciate what you’ve made!
- Enjoy Online Multiplayer – Play online multiplayer with people from all over the world! (Video)
- Be Part of a Fun Community – When you join Course World, you’ll create a unique profile to show off to the world. You can even customize your Maker avatar with shirts, hats, and more that you unlock by completing in-game objectives.
There are loads of new features being introduced into the new game, including the addition of slopes, creating levels in co-op, new water level features like rising levels, as well as 100 pre-made levels a part of the story mode in the game.
Super Mario Maker 2 is set to release on June 28, 2019 exclusively for the Switch.